Sunday, March 9, 2014

9/31

I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off an hour early thanks to daylight savings. Today is Sunday, the worst day of the week. I have to go to school the next day, and I have Sunday school today. I walk into my classroom, and hear screaming children. I always come early for some reason and have to play with my teachers kids while she gets ready for the day. They pull out the Dixie cups and stack them as high as they can in pyramids and scream with joy as the topple over onto the ground. "Lets make one big one!" says the oldest. Great, three times the screaming. The pyramid gets really tall and then time is up. "Ok girls, it's time for class. Clean up and head on over." The kids were disappointed, but the youngest tore through it with her arms and squealed as the cups hit the ground.
 Finally, 9:00 and people were coming in. Basically we stay in that class for twenty minutes, stalling and doing whatever then go to a different class to learn something else. The twenty minutes went by quickly in Sarah's class so we then headed over to Jim's. That also went by quickly as we talked about immigrating Jews, and watched scenes from Fiddler on the Roof. At 10:30, we went to the social hall to finish our "Olympic Games" that had absolutely nothing to do with Judaism at all. "India, its your turn to throw the ball threw the spinning hula hoop. Cam, Shane, who's your third player?" they all look at me. Darn. First Cam throws his and misses, as well as Shane. Its my turn and the hoop is quickly moving away, I throw and I barely make it. "You know, that was a bad throw on my part so lets try it again." I was starting to get competitive and into the game, and it was unfair because I made it through! He throws it again and Cam misses, Shane misses, and of course I make it through. "Wow, these hoops are bad. Lets try it again." He throws it; Cam misses, Shane misses, and I miss. "Ok no points for India, but that looks pretty hard so we will just hold up the hoop and have you guys throw it through." I don't complain out loud, but I should have gotten the points. A boy named AJ holds up the hoop and Cam gets ready for the shot. He doesn't stop talking about basketball or football so we should have had this in the bag. He pulls his arm back, and misses. The same thing happens to Shane. It's up to me and I am the least athletic person in our group but yet I stand there with the red ball in my hand. Its just twenty feet Briahn, just make it through. I try to comfort myself because I have stage freight, and yes this counts. There were probably sixty people there, and they were all focusing on my movements, most of them praying that I miss. I take a deep breath and I pull my arm back and everyone's eyes are on me. My arm moves forward and the ball escapes my fingertips, and it goes straight through the middle. "One point for India!"

5 comments:

  1. Wow. It's kinda funny how you can make one thing seem like your hearing the news of if you got President.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, same as Max I like how you write about one little thing from your day that obviously was important to you, and made it seem important to us, which it does

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you really told the story well with all the ups and downs, mostly downs, but it's terrific that a small part of your day turned into a "big" story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great setup, description of the "Olympics" and satisfying ending. Hooray for team India, although it sounds like they should have gotten points all along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you told the story made me want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete