Sunday, March 16, 2014

16/31

The purim carnival was today, but I didn't want to go this year. I did have a blast my first year though. I walked up to the first booth I saw with my tickets in hand, and I waited for my turn. I gave them my tickets and held the bean sack in my hand feeling the weight of it. I had three more, but I had to just take a moment and relax. I lined up the bag so one of the points is in between my middle finger and the ring finger, ready for the throw. Next, I focus on the six pins stacked up in a pyramid and aim for the one in the middle. My arm goes back, and the sack flew so fast all I heard was all of the pins falling down. People who are around me started talking and looking in my direction, and I just smile and get my card punched. The line looked pretty short, so I joined the back. Soon it was my turn so I handed the man the tickets and fixed my braid and got ready to throw. I lined up one of the corners between my middle finger and my ring finger and took a deep breath. I pulled my arm back, and crash! They all went down. Again, people turned my way to see the little red-head keep knocking down all of the pins. I did this a couple of times, until I missed and decided that I should move on. I was almost out of tickets so I headed over to the cheapest (ticket wise) booth which was the goldfish booth. There were around one hundred glass cups in neat rows. To their right and left were buckets of ping-pong balls most of them white, while some of them were yellow. I hand the woman my two tickets and grab three ping-pong balls. The closest marking of tape on the ground was for kids around five and younger, so I walked over to the one behind it a couple feet farther back. "All, you have to do is put one ping-pong ball in any of the cups, and you can win a goldfish!" She made it sound so easy that a toddler could do it, but I had a feeling that it would be a bit harder. The small white ping-pong ball swishes in my hand as I get ready to throw. It escapes my fingertips and bounces a couple of times before rolling off of the table. The second try must go in because I really want a goldfish. As I tossed it, I was thinking of good fish names. Sammy? Maybe Nemo. I couldn't decide but luckily the ping-pong ball distracted me. Back and forth, it bounced a lot  between the glass cups. It came close to the edge, and I panicked as it rolled off of the table. The last ball rolled around in my hand and I just had to get that goldfish. I threw it forward, and it made a large ark before hitting the first glass. "Come on, come on!" I mumbled. Three, four, five bounces and it finally landed in one towards the right. "Yes!" I said that pretty loudly, but it was a really exciting day for a ten year-old.

4 comments:

  1. You did a good job (as always) describing the things that you did/the things that were happening around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to hustle the games Briahn! This slice is so exciting and I love the image of all the adults being amazed as you do what they had failed at. What did you name the goldfish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a lot of fun! I am going next year.

    ReplyDelete