Sunday, March 23, 2014

23/31

I had a pet turtle once, his name was Davie. I loved turtles so much when I was younger that I wanted to study them, and it was one of my favorite units. I built a model of a turtle, made a book or two, and went on some field trips to the zoo and aquarium. Of course that was in Kindergarten so I don't remember most of it. My room in our apartment at the time had turtle stuff everywhere. Even the bathroom had a turtle toothbrush holder. The mint wall behind my bed had one big quilt of a turtle, and I had lots of turtle stuffed animals.

I begged for a pet turtle for a long time, but my parents just said "we'll think about it." I wanted a turtle just as bad, I just stopped asking for a while because I knew the answer would be "we'll think about it." Finally, my parents were taking me out for a drive "somewhere" and actually had no idea where. We arrived at Scales and Tails, and I started to squeal with excitement and joy. On the way home, I had a box on my lap that had a turtle in it. I wouldn't open the box, but I would look through one of the holes to see him. I was only around six, so just holding a box wouldn't satisfy me. The bumps in the road made it hard to hold, so while my parents weren't looking I tilted the box and watched him slide down to the bottom. It was a 45 minute drive back to the apartment but I didn't mind because I liked sliding my turtle around the box. I knew it wasn't very nice, but I was really bored and it was really cute to watch him slide down. The last thing to do after getting him the right equipment, was to find him a name but that is another story for another time.

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting to think of the details one remembers. You remember wanting one, and then on the way home, you are sliding it around in the box. I guess that it was okay, you arrived home, & loved the turtle. Fun to hear about, Briahn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sliding the turtle around the box on the ride home is so wonderfully real and vivid. I can just imagine you needing to interact someway with "Tiny Tim" or whatever you named it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how much you loved and still love turtles, but I didn't know that you had a turtle. As I'm reading this, I can see you squealing while you're getting your turtle and sliding him around in the box.

    ReplyDelete