Saturday, March 8, 2014

8/31 SOL


Today was one of my best friends Bat Mitzvah. She did so well and I am so proud of her, even through it's not my favorite activity. I sung along to most of the songs, but every now and then my mind drifted off to something random like why lace had flowers. Once the service was done, my friends and I sat down for lunch and started to talk about things from Sunday School. There were trays of delicious food as well as deserts around the entire room, and no one hesitated to take a closer look. It is crazy how small the world is, because I saw five other people I haven't seen in at least six years, and it was great to see them again. It wasn't a very big party, but that isn't what it is all about. It's about how a girl or boy becomes Bat or Bar Mitzvah and it is then that they are allowed to bless, and read from the Torah. To celebrate, a party is thrown, or they do something else like volunteer for a charity fund. At my friends party, there was a photo booth, a spray paint t-shirt stand, and yes my favorite Henna. There was only one person doing the Henna, but she beautifully painted each one. The was symmetry, and pattern to all of them, and I could only imagine how pretty and intricate the ones in India were. I of course loved the Henna, but my favorite part was seeing one of my best friends step up onto the Bimah, and become Bat Mitzvah.

4 comments:

  1. I think that lace has flowers because, if you make them look just right, the white flowers look really elegant and pretty. That sounds like to was really fun! I love seeing people that I haven't seen in a long time because it's interesting to see how they've changed. I want to see one of my friend who I haven't been in two or three years and keep imagining her as a goth and its so funny. I know, its really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does Bat Mitzvah translate to into English? (I hope that is not a rude question to ask, I'm just curious.) This sounds like a beautiful tradition and a wonderful way to celebrate a new chapter in a young woman or man's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little complicated but I'll try to explain. Bat is daughter, and Bar is son, and Mitzvah is fulfilling commandments. So it comes out to Son or Daughter of the Commandments. In the Torah (Talk to me if you don't know what it is) there are 613 mitzvahs and once you are "of age" which is 13 you become Bar or Bat Mitzvah and the mitzvahs then apply to you. A mitzvah is like a good deed, but more then that because they are also kind of like rules. Did that help? If you have any more questions you can ask me at school.

      Delete
  3. I love the sentence about the desserts and taking a closer look. Also, you did a great job of describing the importance of the event for the people there!

    ReplyDelete