Sunday, March 2, 2014

2/31 SOL

Over Winter Break, my family met up with my aunt and uncle to go on a cruise to Cozumel, and Belize. The road I live on has trees that create a canopy over the street which is like a blooming tunnel of green lush. The only thing is, is that it is winter and the trees are covered in snow which in some ways is prettier. Normally the drive to the airport is slow and boring, but I pass time gazing at the snowy tunnel of branches all around me. My parents are talking about how to get to the hotel before we go to the ship, which I would be interested in and even give some ideas but I am lost in the many twisted branches that were intertwined with each other. The simplest objects around us can have meaning and beauty and I was realizing that through the frosty limbs. It was probably forty-five minutes  to get to the airport and I just leaned my head against the cold glass of the door as I watch the landscape quickly change from houses and tall buildings to white planes with solar panels. We finally arrived at the airport and we quickly boarded the plane.


The ship was starting to set sail as we were getting to eat our first lunch. The days at sea where were fun and I got to hang out with some new friends, but my favorite days were the days where we docked. First we went to Belize and went on excursions. We saw Sleeping Giant mountain as we thrashed violently against the thick fabric of the "left handed" land rover my dad decided to drive. The second part of the day was a river tour and a hike to a cave. As we were getting ready for the hike, I noticed the bridge we were going to be crossing to get to the path. The scene was really pretty at the cite of the hike with the tropical Hibiscus flowers, the the tall green plants that thrive in the humidity, and the river with the rickety rope bridge. I was laughing quietly to myself as my mom was worried about walking across the bridge because she had acrophobia which is a fear of heights.

My feet were starting to get tired on the uneven ground especially because I was wearing flip-flops. I kept myself busy by looking at the beautiful scenery and listening to the soothing sounds of birds and other animals lurking near by. The cave itself was really warm with the thermo-heating "vent" system while we were walking through the gloomy rock structure. My mom and my aunt could have had a better time because they realized when they were walking through, there were bats two inches away from their heads. They didn't think it was funny then, and they don't think it is funny now. The only thing that was funny was that on the river tour my aunt sat in the back of the boat so she got soaked in the river water from the wake the motors were creating. It was a long tiring day with the humidity drenching us in heat from the Central American sun that was beating down on us in December. We also visited Xel-Ha in Mexico which was another small adventure with my aunt and uncle while my parents stayed in Cozumel. It was a great way to end the year; in warm weather, and with my family.

2 comments:

  1. "we thrashed violently against the thick fabric of the "left handed" land rover my dad decided to drive." Love this line! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your slice is really, really long. Your so lucky you could go on a cruise. I really liked how you wrote it as a journal entry (kind of). Your line about your "feet getting tired on the uneven ground" was just how I would have imagined it.

    ReplyDelete