Tuesday, March 17, 2015

SOL 17 Secret Life of Bees

This book was by Sue Monk Kidd, and I enjoyed it. The main character is Lily Melissa Owens, who is 14 years old and lives with her abusive father in the 1960's. Lily's mind is clouded with thoughts from the past about her mother's death, and she wonders if it is her fault. A little later she runs away with their African American housekeeper/nanny Rosaleen, who became almost like a mother to Lily. In her new home she learns about bee keeping, and different views of racism. She is a young white girl living in a black home, so she grows up pretty quickly in my opinion. I tried not to spoil to much, but those were the main introductory points of the book. I really liked this book, and I got attached to the characters. I wouldn't say I had a favorite, but I did like May. She just seemed more distinguished and different from the rest. This book is at the reading level where anyone could read it, and I think everyone in our class should read it.

TBR:
Blue Lily, Lily Blue
The Raven King
We were liars

No comments:

Post a Comment