Thursday, March 12, 2015

SOL 12

Today I'm in eighth grade, soon I'll be in ninth. Today I'm in eighth grade, so why not act like I'm in fourth? I grab Selah and head over to the playground. "Come on, lets play hand games!" Selah just gives me a slightly confused glance as we dash under the stairs and under the climbing wall. We talk and giggle and pretend that none of today is actually happening. I'm not continuing this year, I'm not celebrating my last Pi Day at Logan today, but we're little girls laughing without a care in the world. I scoot my foot the left, and as it does it uncovers a fresh layer of dirt. I shouldn't have paid much attention to it, but the dirt was moving. I stop and stare and realize, it is a worm. Its just a worm, its ok. But its not ok! My eyes widen in anxiety, and I get up while yelling about how there is a worm. Selah just sits there smiling at my ridiculousness and decides to do something about it. She picks up the squirming worm and places it in her right palm and chases after me. My eyes widen even more if it is possible, and I tear across the playground screaming, trying to escape Selah and her worm. The whole time Selah is laughing hysterically about my screaming hysterically, and she ends up grabbing my arm with her right palm. Stop overreacting, ITS A WORM! But I can't. As her hand grips around my sweatshirt sleeve, the color drains from my face and I am presented with a terrible horror. She has TOUCHED ME with her WORM HAND!!!!! Turns out she let the worm go a while ago, but she kept up the act to mess with me. We sit down on the concrete and continue talking, except it is different this time. We aren't in the year 2011 anymore, its 2015. Our conversations have shifted, our presence has shifted. Soon its time to go inside to finish March 12th, 2015.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny how the present can bring up memories of the past. This is a nice description. I like hearing your side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you went from being in 4th grade to being in 8th. These are cool descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was wonderful! I loved seeing you transform from a mature young continuing woman to a girl again, not wanting to be touched by worms. You did a great job putting this together.

    ReplyDelete