Thursday, January 15, 2015

Winter Trees to Summer Bees

Winter is great and all, getting to drink hot chocolate and being able to wear blue fuzzy socks, but times when I'm so cold I don't even want to move I think about summer. Mostly going up to the mountains in the summer. The drive on the highway is a bit exhausting, but towards the end of the ride we pass a gate. Behind that gate are all of my warm memories in the mountains, all of the things that are going to happen. Every time we reach this gate, I wish we were behind it. What is going to happen this summer? In anticipation, my mind gets thrown back to the saving cream wars, the hidden caves, and the impossible snowflakes in early August. There was barely enough snow to make a snowball, but non the less it was there. The gate is thrown open, and all I can see are aspen trees. These are the trees that scrape against the car window because the road is too narrow, and the trees that I ducked behind and dashed around everyday. Something about all of this is comforting; the gate and the aspen trees, it almost feels normal to see them. It takes about ten minutes after passing that gate to get up to wear we are staying, so I rest my head against the glass window and watch as each tree flashes by in the blink of an eye. Now I definitely know this is normal, it feels like home. I have my secret hideouts and memories here, not in my little brick house by the cherry creek mall. Here I caught minos with my hands, got chased by a bee, and picked flowers, and I know part of me will always belong here.

2 comments:

  1. Not minos. Minnows. Okay sorry that slice was pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your Slice. It made me think about places like that and it was really cool.

    ReplyDelete