Monday, January 20, 2014

SOL First Time Snowboarding

As I strapped on the buckles that kept me on my snowboard for the first time, I stared at the smooth white snow in front of me. All it took was one push and I was on my way down the mountain. Turning left and right, carving the thick white powder over and over again. Creating the trail of a snake. The thin air of Colorado blows against my cheeks to keep me cool in the 60 degree weather. It took a while to get used to the turns, but I eventually got the hang of it. Smooth turns until the last, and I fell hard on the ground with a cloud of thick powder all around me. Even though it hurt, I had to get up and try again. You would think that the puff of the jacket would break the fall, but that would only work if you were wearing a jacket. It was 60 degrees out in the mountains, and it isn't very comfortable layered up in snow gear. Each time I fell, I would feel the sting of the ground hitting my shoulders then the cold of the snow and ice against my skin. The only way to protect my arms, would be to stop practicing, or put on the jacket. By the time I had to go eat lunch, my arms were red, and scraped, but I'm not one to give up. After I ate a good lunch, of tomato soup and grilled cheese, I was ready to go back out onto the mountain. When I began my first run after lunch, I was tired, and it felt a little weird because I hadn't gotten used to the feel of boarding, after eating.

The first couple of runs were shaky, but after I got used to my s turns, I never wanted to stop. My parents said it was time to go, and my face fell. I was so sad, and I didn't know when the next time I would be able to snowboard would be. I sweet-talked my parents into just one more run. After that run, we got hot chocolate, and settled into our car for the drive home. It was a long, and dreadful drive home, the cause of this being my sister, and the snow. It was practically a white out. We couldn't see the car in front of us, and my sister was talking A LOT but, luckily I had my ipod, and my headphones.

That was the best day ever, and I will always remember it.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds really fun! I ski a fair amount, but I haven't ever tried boarding. I really like your description of the coat predicament. A bit of a paradox, I guess?
    I laughed at your comment about boarding after eating. :P See you tomorrow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the description in this, especial the the sentence "The thin air of Colorado blows against my cheeks to keep me cool in the 60 degree weather". You have always told me how much fun snowboarding is and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as if you got the hang of it really quickly, Briahn! I love the description at the beginning, " carving the thick white powder over and over again". You packed a lot into this slice!

    ReplyDelete