Monday, February 23, 2015

Out of the Easy

By Ruta Sepetys. Josie Moraine is the daughter of a prostitute in a brothel in New Orleans during the 1950's, and she can't wait to leave all of it behind. Her dream is to go to college far away from New Orleans, but a mysterious death catches her eye. Should she stay and learn more? Or go off to college? I thought this was a pretty good book, but I never really understood what it was getting at. If there was a bit more clarity and maybe more plot development I would have liked it better. This is a book set in a brothel, so as a warning for all of you this book talks about prostitution. A few have read this in our class, and it is definitely at the reading level where anyone in our class could read it. I think my favorite part was that it was set in the 50's, just added another level of interest into the book.

I choose a book based on recommendations of others who tend to like the same genre as I do. I wrote down a bunch at the beginning of the year when Linda came in and gave a book talk, so at first I went off of those and then later I started reading some books that my friends like. After I read the first couple on my TBR at the beginning of the year, I did not really like some of the books as much as I thought so I asked some other people what they thought I should read.

TBR:
The Dream Thieves
Second to this one^
Tigers Curse

No comments:

Post a Comment